Friday, September 21, 2012

A Blog about my Grandma.

You may (or may not be) wondering why I suddenly became interested in sewing.  It wasn't just a spur of the moment thought...like "hey, I'm going to buy a sewing machine today just because I can!"

When I was a kid, I was always around my Grandma & Granny who sewed beautiful hand stitched quilts.  It was such an inspiration to watch them doing all this intricate quilt work.  My Grandma always jokes that I was "the girl who never wanted to sew" but honestly, who could live up to these amazing women?  But it was true at the time, I was never really interested in doing the work, I wanted to skip right to the end of projects.


Regardless, the urge to sew was a seed that was planted in my mind since I was a toddler.

Now that I'm an adult and I have a great life with an amazing family and support system, I wanted to do something that would make me happy, keep me busy, and possibly eventually earn me some income.  It will be a journey, no matter what happens.  For awhile that was photography.  I still do some photo work from time to time...but lately, I've been crafting and sewing seemed like the logical thing to start with.  I have experience with it.  I know some of the basics & learn quickly.  I have family & friends I can ask for tips or advice.  And its FUN!!

I think of my Grandma everytime I sit down at my sewing machine.  I think about all the times I would fight my cousin to thread a needle for my Granny.  I think about the quilts I have of my Grandmother's...and how proud I am to show them off to people.  I think about my Mom and the time she sewed little tiny Barbie clothes for me to use in a class project about pilgrims.  I remember my last trip home and helping my Grandma choose & match fabrics for her latest quilt.

Sewing, I've found...brings me back to my happy place.  It reminds me of home and I feel confident in my abilities.  I feel like I can really do something with it.

A couple days ago I texted my Grandma a photo of a couple things I've made this past week.  She can receive texts, but still hasn't figured out how to respond from her cell phone.  Hehe.  So she immediately called me and was just GUSHING with pride.

Oh Bethany, the girl who never wanted to sew and look at what you're doing now!  That purse?  That's even beyond me!  Make sure you press your quilt squares from the backside.  Always pin.  You can do big things, keep up the good work Bethany!  We are just SO proud of you and tickled pink that you took up sewing."

She  is just amazing. <3
 Grandma & I (her trusty sewing machine in the background)!
One of her quilts laid out while we match fabrics for new squares!
My Grandma, Mom, & (my son) Gavin!


No comments:

Post a Comment