Sunday, September 23, 2012

Apron!

Earlier I mentioned I was going to try to make an apron.  After an hour on the computer googling apron patterns, tutorials, etc...I was just frustrated.  None of them were what I had in mine, ALL of them sounded way more complicated than they really were.  So I made mine up as I went along.  With my next one, I'll try to take step by step photos so someone out there in the Blogosphere might be able to bypass all the nonsense and skip straight to getting it made!

Anyway, my first issue was figuring out measurements.  How big should I make it?  I don't care for the knee length aprons, too old fashioned.  I wanted something updated!  I ran across alot of "tea towel" aprons and that was frustrating because people were making them according to the size of the towel.  CUT!

I had several things in mind for my apron.  Here are a few:
1) Ruffles.  Mostly because I wanted to try making some, and also because I think they make aprons super duper adorable.
2) A pocket or two.  I didn't want square pockets.  Been there, done that.  So I cut my own shape.  I only put one on my finished project because I messed up the first.  I'll explain that another time.
3) Length...above my knees.

Getting the sizes figured out was the worst part.  I did alot of holding up the fabric in front of the mirror & guessed from there.  I knew I didn't want a square or rectangle so I made up my own corner curves.
The waistband was the worst part.  Next time I'll focus on DIY instructions alot closer.

But alas, I made an apron and for the most part (aside from the sloppy stiching in parts) I'm very pleased that I made it up on my own.  This one will be mine...since its not perfect.  I learned alot during the process that I'm excited to apply to my next one!

Finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment