Sunday, September 23, 2012

So many exciting things...

Lots of exciting things are going on!!  I'm an obsessive list maker so I'll list some of them instead of boring you with the details.  But I have pictures!

1) I made my own tags/labels to sew onto things that I make!  They were super easy to make.  Just a spool of ribbon and some t-shirt iron on paper and a printer!  I used an old address label template to print lots on one sheet of paper.  Cut & iron onto the ribbon and *Voila!*

They really add some pop to things.  I made a bag yesterday and used one for the first time!  Which brings me to:

2) I made another bag!  I've been practicing the same bag over and over to refine my skills and find ways to be more efficient!  I love this bag the most so far, but I think I'll keep saying that as I get better and more comfortable whipping them up.   The fabric was on clearance at Joann's and its a nice thick upholstery fabric so the bag itself holds its shape better and feels more durable.




 With one of my cute new tags inside!

3) Gavin had a great idea today when he saw me taking photos of the bag.  He has this little stuffed sock monkey toy & I'm sure you've all seen one of those blogs or photo collections where someone takes a picture of a toy all over the place on adventures.  Haven't you?  Well, Socks is going to be my model from now on.  He's going to sit there and show off the things I have for sale.  Gavin is excited about it, so I am too.  Consider this your formal introduction to Socks.


4) My generous Dad gave me what he calls an "Artists Grant" to get me kick started on making lots of things to sell.  Otherwise its a slower start and I am so excited about this venture I don't want to take things slow!  With his Grant I got alot of the supplies & materials that I needed...like a bigger mat, acrylic ruler, assorted thread colors, extra bobbins, rotary cutter, a cute little sign for my sewing/craft room, some inexpensive shelving to keep me organized and...

5) TONS of new fabric!!  I bought some on clearance and used a couple coupons at Joanns.  That's over $100 in fabric.  Crazy!  But it gives me a really good starting point.  I have things planned for each design!



6) A friend and I have been trying to think of other things we could make (she also sews & is very crafty) to sell...especially with the holidays coming up.  Since we love thrift stores we're going to start picking up cute retro finds to pair with handmade aprons as little hostess gifts!  Be looking for more information on that down the road.  We're meeting about it this week. ;)  That's another thing on my to do list.  Make an apron for practice!  I'm going to attempt my own pattern/design with some of my scrap fabric.

Okay, I think that's the major points for now. =)  I have lots of projects to make today.  A couple bags that I've already cut out.  And a couple aprons!  More baby blankets!  My goal is to have a couple more things for sale by the end of the day!  Better get going!

Miss B

No comments:

Post a Comment